Sociology- Week 8, 5/18-5/20
No new assignments.
Complete any missing work you have and send me an email when everything is done. I will be inputting grades all week, and want to keep ProgressBook as up to date as possible.
Sociology- Week 7, 5/11-5/15
Due by 3:00pm on 5/15:
1. Complete the "Deviance Project" that has been uploaded into SharePoint. Obviously we will not be able to present these in front of the class, so the presentation points will not be included in your grade, but everything else will. When you are done just email me the final product.
**Total points may be changed slightly to help even out the grades for the fourth quarter due to the online learning.
Sociology- Week 6, 5/4-5/8
Due by 3:00pm on 5/8:
1. Complete the Chapter 8 Formative Quiz in Forms.
2. Complete the Chapter 8 Test- Deviance in Forms.
3. For next week, I will be assigning an assignment that we usually do together in class. Be thinking of a famous deviant that you want to research a bit. They could be a good deviant or bad deviant, but choose someone you want to learn a little bit more about. On the second slide of the PowerPoint in SharePoint I have listed some famous ones in past classes. You can use anyone you think is appropriate, just send me their name by the end of May 8. The assignment will be posted the following week.
***April 27 Announcement***
For the most part, great job in getting everything done from last week. Most of you completed all the assignments and I entered them into ProgressBook this morning. Assignments for this week have been posted, but I also wanted to share a couple reminders with everyone again:
1. If you miss that 3:00pm Friday due date there isn't any penalties yet. But, please send me an email saying you completed an assignment because I have no way of knowing whether you completed a late assignment or not. If I have entered the grades into ProgressBook already, I won't go back and look at Forms unless you tell me you've completed old work.
2. If you want to reassess anything you can. Just send me an email letting me know which assignment you would like to reassess and I will make a new one for you. Many of you have done that already and I really appreciate it.
3. Thank you for the TV and Movie suggestions! I'm trying to put them together so I can share them with the whole class.
Sociology- Week 5, 4/27-5/1
Due by 3:00pm on 5/1:
1. Finish reading Chapter 8 in the Sociology Book.
2. Finish looking through the rest of my PowerPoint (slides 20-47).
3. Complete the 8.2 Quiz in Forms
4. Read the Theft Differences and Different Types of Murder articles that have been shared in SharePoint
5. Complete the Deviance Types Quiz in Forms
Sociology- Week 4, 4/20-4/24
Due by 3:00pm on 4/24:
1. Read the Death Penalty Article. It has been shared in SharePoint.
2. Complete the Death Penalty Article in Forms.
3. Begin to look through my PowerPoint (Slides 1-19). It has been shared in SharePoint.
4. Start to read Chapter 8 in the Sociology book. The book and PowerPoint do complement each other, but don't necessarily follow the same order for this unit.
5. Complete the 8.1 Quiz in Forms.
***April 14 Announcement***
Welcome back from Spring Break. For the most part everyone is doing a great job logging in and completing assignments, but I wanted to send out a couple reminders about things that I am getting a lot of questions or feedback from students about:
1. All of the assignments that you need to complete will be posted by weeks in my school website. Most of the assignments will have a blue link that will take you directly to Microsoft Forms where they can be completed. All of the content I put in SharePoint is just supplemental that will help you complete any of the forms.
2. I will post all assignments for the following week on Fridays, but they are not due until the next Friday at 3:00pm. For Example: this Friday, April 17th I am going to post a few assignments for next week. Those need to be completed by Friday, April 24 at 3:00pm. ***Originally I told you 9:00am, but that time has been changed back to 3:00pm to coincide with the end of the school week***
3. If you miss that 3:00pm due date it is not the end of the world and there isn't any penalties yet. But please send me an email saying you completed an assignment because I have no way of knowing whether you completed a late assignment or not.
4. If you want to reassess anything you can. Just send me an email letting me know which assignment you would like to reassess and I will make a new one for you. Many of you have done that already and I really appreciate it.
Sociology- Week 3, 4/14-4/17
Due by 9:00am on 4/17
1. Complete the Chapter 11 Formative Part 2 in Forms.
2. Read "Race v Ethnicity" articles located in SharePoint. Don't just skim through, read each article because we usually spend an entire block day reading and talking about these two terms. Many students and adults have no idea what the difference is.
3. Complete the Race v Ethnicity Quiz in Forms.
4. Complete the Chpater 11 Test- Social Classes in Forms.
This website will be used to post any assignments you will need to complete during the extended break. Assignments for the following week will all be posted by 9:00am each Friday. All assignments have a due date of Fridays at 9:00am of the week they should be completed. Please make sure all work is completed on time and completely so that everything can be graded and posted in ProgressBook in a timely manner.
To complete the quizzes in Office Forms, each assignment is linked if you click on it.
Most materials for any assignments will be posted in the class Office365 SharePoint folder and all communications with me should be made through Office365. If you forgot your password, use the "forgot password" link, and Mrs. Doty will reset your password to Student12345. A reminder on how to follow this class in Office365 in case you haven't already:
1- Log in to Office365
2- Click on the SharePoint app
3- If you don't see "Sociology2020", go to the search box and search for "Sociology2020"
4- It will be the first result since everyone has been added, click on the class
5- In the upper right corner click on the star to start following the class
6- After a few minutes, Sociology2020 will now show up in all the apps of Office365
My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
***April 1 Announcement***
When you are filling out any of the Microsoft Forms, please make sure you are logged into the website as yourself. Several of you have been logged in as someone else when you take the quiz, which then shows me someone elses name when it is graded. I can't give you a grade for something if I don't know it was your work.
Also, next week is our Spring Break so no assignments will need to be completed by that Friday. I will post assignments for the following week (4/14-4/17) this week, but they aren't due until April 17.
***March 23 Announcement***
I have sent out a few emails to the whole group but most of you aren't seeing them because they don't automatically go to your inbox, they go to the Group inbox. In the Outlook app in Office365, on the left side where all the different folders are (inbox, draft, sent, etc...) scroll down untill you see Groups. Sociology2020 will be an email group that will have a few announcements in it. In my Outlook app I moved that group towards the top to make it easier to see, that may be helpful for you if you don't remember to check it.
Sociology- Week 2, 3/30-4/3
1. In the Sociology book, read from p. 281 to the end of the chapter (p.297).
2. Look through my Chapter 11 PowerPoint from slide 30 to the end in SharePoint
3. Watch The Line documentary on YouTube
4. Complete The Line Discussion Questions located in SharePoint.
*you can print it, fill it out, and email me a copy of yours
*or you can save your own copy and type on it, and email it back to me
5. Complete Chapter 11 Formative Part 1 in Forms
6. A Study Guide, Formative, and Poverty Guidelines has been uploaded in SharePoint for the Chapter 11 Test which will be next week. There will also be another formative posted next week to complete before the Test.
Sociology- Week 1, 3/23-3/27
1. Complete the Intro Form to practice using Forms.
2. Complete the Chapter 3 Test- Culture in Forms
3. Complete the "Prestige Rankings" worksheet located in SharePoint. Rank the different professions from 1-32 (1 being the most prestigious, 32 being the least prestigious). The term "prestigious" can only be defined by your point of view, so everyones ranking should be different.
* you can print it, fill it out, and email me a copy of yours
*or you can type a document with the numbers 1-32 and the professions ranked and email me a copy
4. In the Sociology book, begin reading Chapter 11: Social Class in the United States. Read from p. 270 to the top of p. 281.
5. Look through my Chapter 11 PowerPoint from slide 1-29 located in SharePoint
6. Complete the Social Classes Writing in Forms